The recipe I use for the gingerbread is great. Its egg free, so Sam can eat it, it doesnt swell when cooked, it holds its shape nicely and it dries hard enough to construct with. But best of all - it tastes delicious.
Laura and I made some little xmassy biscuits with the left over dough. Some of them have boiled sweet 'holes' in them. Thats where you cut a little hole (we used the apple corer) and drop crushed boiled sweets into it. Then when you cook the biscuits the sweets melt and and create a little stained glass window effect. Very cool. We did this with the house windows too.
Cooked yesterday and constructed this morning to give it time to set. I also found a great egg free royal icing recipe. Again Sam friendly, tastes good and has all the properties a gingerbread house maker could want.
So I set the kids up with a couple of bowls of lollies (not all of which made it onto the house!) some icing 'glue' and the cake and biscuits.
Great fun was had piling lollies on in random order. I think there was also an unspoken competition to see who could put the most lollies on a gingerbread man too!
Cutting out the pieces, photo courtesy of Laura
No comments:
Post a Comment